Saturday, March 29, 2008

On My Own, but Not Alone!

Mission Statement
What is a Rosary Run?
Ride Report

Given the late winter's harsh weather and today's unusually cool temperatures, the first Rosary Run of 2008 was solo. I have much to say about today's run, but am publishing some photos for now. Don't worry! On May 3, we will return to the Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation. If you can join us by motorcycle or car, I highly recommend this pilgrimage. Sign up at the Columbus Catholic Men's Conference on April 26 or simply show up at St. Agatha Church in Upper Arlington at 9:00 AM, May 3.

Your soul will find Peace in northwest Ohio. Imagine that!

Many thanks to the Shrine Park staff for granting access to me and "RC", my 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning.

Go to the Ride Report

Station I

Station I


Holy Family

Holy Family (and RC)


The Holy Family

The Holy Family


The Shrine Park Altar

The Shrine Park Altar


The Shrine Altar of Our Lady of Consolation

The Shrine Altar


Statue of Our Lady of Consolation

Our Lady of Consolation


Stained Glass Window, Oh my.

Stained Glass, Oh My!


Holy Water Font

Holy Water Font


-------------------------

Ride Report (In Process)
March 29, 2008 9:40 AM
US Rt. 23 North, several miles north of Delaware, OH

Sunny, calm winds, about 33 Degrees F. Despite the cold weather gear, including full-face helmet, pant liner, jacket liner, neck gaiter, and gauntlet gloves, I feel really cold. The bright sun yields little warmth. Frost glistens on the foliage near the roadside.

Because of that frost, I choose Rt. 23 instead of a rural route. Rural roads, surrounded by sun blocking trees, often retain frost through the morning on days like this one. And today I ride alone. Several people wanted to make today's Rosary Run, but lacked the gear to ride in this weather. One dedicated rider with a bad back got a steroid shot for his pain yesterday. On March 8, the Columbus Catholic Men's conference was postponed because of blizzard. I expected about ten riders to sign up at the conference, which was rescheduled for April 26.

So why do I ride today? Well, I promised Our Lady to pray her Rosary at The National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation today, if at all possible. It's possible, but uncomfortable. I didn't promise anything about discomfort. Note to self... Yes, Dad, I'll offer it up! Anyway, I'm cold, but encouraged. Why? (WARNING: CATHOLIC CONTENT: This might sound a bit unusual to people who do not regularly pray the Rosary.) I am absolutely filled with joy at visiting Our Lady of Consolation! I'm on my own today, but not alone. Having opened my heart to Jesus and Mary, they have filled it with the joy achieved through activities that tend toward them. The Rosary is the best method of meditation on the lives of Jesus and his Mother at any time. To pray the Rosary at a Shrine dedicated to Our Lady must surely enhance the meditative and contemplative depths to which we can pray. Today, I'll find out!

To be continued...



May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. - 2 Corinthians 13.14

Click this link to send an email to
The Catholic Motorcyclist

No comments: